Top 5 Wednesday is a Goodreads group created by gingerreadslainey over on YouTube. Every week brings a different topic and this week is ‘Books I Was Spoiled For’. Before you continue: THIS BLOG CONTAINS SPOILERS!
5. The War of the Worlds by H.G.Wells. I was casually reading this at the lunch table when one of my colleagues said ‘How weird is it that all the martians were just killed off by bacteria?’ Really? I was only half way through and they spoiled the ending.
4. The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen. I accidentally spoiled this one for myself by watching a discussion on YouTube. I found out about the shipping of civilians to Mortmesne, where they were used as slaves. This revelation would have been far more powerful if I hadn’t already heard about it.
3. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. I can’t remember who spoiled this, but somebody told me that Prim dies. Who would do that?
2. One Day by David Nicholls. I was sat on a bench reading this book when an absolute stranger came up to me and said ‘It’s a shame Em dies at the end!’ I didn’t even know this person! I was devastated.
1. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K.Rowling. I started reading this pretty much as soon as it came out. I was pretty slow getting through it though and one of the boys in my class (I secretly hated him from this point on wards) told me that Sirius Black died. He knew I wasn’t that far in and he did it anyway.
I do have a confession to make regarding spoilers. My sister and I went to the midnight release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and then started reading as soon as we got home. I was ahead of her and I told her that Dobby died. I am so ashamed of myself for this. I’m sorry, sis.