Top 5 Wednesday is a Goodreads group created by gingerreadslainey over on YouTube. Every week brings a new Top 5 topic and this week is Biggest Badasses. So, without further preamble, here are my Top 5 Badasses from books that I have read:
5. NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM from Harry Potter by J.K.Rowling. Neville is one of the bravest people I have ever read about. He is scared of so many things that he faces everyday. He doesn’t skip Potions even though he is terrified of Professor Snape and he stands up to his friends when they are sneaking out. He also cuts the head off a giant evil snake. Neville’s sheer bravery is what makes him a badass in my eyes.
4. KVOTHE from The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. In this book, Kvothe is telling a scribe his life story. He has seen so much, had so little and endured more than one person should have to. I would go into more detail but I don’t want to spoil it. All of Kvothe’s experiences should have crushed him, instead they made him stronger. He is such a badass. A ginger badass.
3. CAPTAIN HOLLY SHORT from Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer. Holly Short is the only female captain in the misogynistic LEPRecon team. She is watched constantly and judged harshly but she refuses to change as long as the men are not forced to as well. She charges headlong into danger, always does what is right (orders or not) and is extremely loyal to her friends. I really looked up to Holly when I was younger and I still class her as a total badass.
2. THALRIC from Shadows of the Apt by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Thalric is, without a doubt, my favourite character in this series. He starts out as an army captain for the wasp empire, an agent for his the secret service. He had always been loyal but he soon starts thinking for himself. He betrays his empire at least twice so that he can be happy and should have died multiple times already. He is funny, adventurous, a skilled fighter, weirdly attractive and a total badass.
1. ALICE from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol. Though just a little girl, Alice ventures alone into a magical land. She faces all kinds of weird and dangerous situations without batting an eyelid. She is almost always cheerful and is outspoken regardless of who she is talking to. Alice is ace and, in my opinion, the Biggest Badass.
There you have it! Who do you think is the Biggest Badass?